Advancemoves European Removal and Worldwide Removal Company

Moving to Spain in 2024

If you are planning on Moving to Spain in 2024 then you have landed on a website that can give you all the information you need and help you save money and time on the actual process of moving to Spain.

If you want to save money when moving to Spain then use the yellow buttons at the top of the page to help you obtain an instant online price for your removal costs to Spain. Then compare quotes from up to 5 or 6 professional removal companies that have been pre-selected from the data you entered into the quick quote to give you the best prices and levels of service when moving to Spain.

The quick quote service is free and without obligation, its just the quickest and easiest way to obtain multiple quote for moving to Spain from removal companies that can actually cover your move at the most competitive rates.

Try it out today Click on the yellow buttons at the top of the page for a quick quote for Moving to Spain.

Moving to Spain from UK

If you are Moving to Spain from UK in 2024 then you will need to obtain a visa in order to be able to live in Spain after Brexit. Currently you can only stay in Spain for up to 90 days in any 180 day period, before you have to leave the EU zone. You can then return again once the rest of the 180 day period has expired. This may be ok for living in a holiday home over the winter months but anything more permanent will require a visa.

Moving to Spain from the UK in 2024 presents an exciting opportunity for individuals seeking a change of scenery, lifestyle, or career prospects. With its warm climate, rich culture, and diverse landscapes, Spain continues to attract expatriates from around the world. Whether you're drawn to the bustling streets of Barcelona, the tranquil beaches of the Costa del Sol, or the historic charm of Madrid, Spain offers something for everyone. However, relocating to a new country involves careful planning and preparation. From obtaining the necessary visas and permits to finding suitable accommodation and navigating cultural differences, there are several factors to consider when moving to Spain. Additionally, Brexit-related changes may impact UK citizens' rights to live, work, and study in Spain, making it essential to stay informed about the latest regulations and requirements. Despite the challenges, moving to Spain can be a rewarding experience for those willing to embrace the adventure. With the support of reputable relocation services like Advance Moves, individuals can streamline the moving process and ensure a smooth transition to their new life in Spain. Whether you're moving for work, retirement, or simply a change of scenery, Advance Moves can provide valuable assistance in finding accommodation, arranging transportation, and navigating the intricacies of Spanish bureaucracy. With their expertise and guidance, you can embark on your Spanish adventure with confidence and peace of mind.

Visas for Moving to Spain

If you are actually moving to Spain from UK then you must tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax that you are moving or retiring abroad.

You can check the entry requirements for Spain here and plan your move to Spain from UK.

Before you move to Spain from UK, you must apply for the appropriate visa from the Spanish consulates in London or Edinburgh.

Or the Spanish consulate in Manchester (details available from the Foreign embassies in the UK list.

You must apply for your residence document as soon as you arrive in Spain. Your children must also be registered with their own residency documents.

You can also read the Spanish government's guidance on:

moving to Spain

This will help you apply for and obtain visas for moving to Spain from UK.

You will find that in most cases you have to prove that you have adequate funds or an income to support yourself in Spain even if you are retiring (a very good pension will suffice).

How much money do I need to live in Spain?

To obtain a residency permit you will need to show that you earn a certain amount of money if you are retiring or moving to Spain from UK on a non lucrative visa.

When calculating the proof of income for your non-lucrative residency, you must have an annual income of 400% of IPREM in your bank account.

The IPREM for 2023 is €600 per month. Therefore, as an individual, you will need to have €2,400 as a regular guaranteed monthly income or a yearly income of €28,800.

This figure is correct in 2023, it may increase a little for 2024.

Living in Spain in 2024

If you plan on living in Spain in 2024 then you will need to apply for a visa and residency (see above), or you may find that you have a certain entitlement to Live in Spain. This will apply if you lived in Spain prior to Brexit, or if you have family members living in Spain already.

Moving to Spain after Brexit, if you were living in Spain before 1 January 2021

If you have been living in Spain legally since before 1 January 2021, then you and your family members will have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

You must however, ensure you are correctly registered as a resident. Your children must also be registered with their own residency documents.

The Spanish TIE resident card

If you are registering for the first time and you meet all the entry requirements then you will be issued with a biometric residence card called a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE).

This card shows that you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement and is your ID card and proof of residence in Spain. It can be used in a lot of cases instead of a passport or in the case of international travel, alongside your passport.

You can read the Spanish government's guidance on how to apply for the new TIE card here.

You can also visit the following link for more information on documentation for British nationals in Spain - Spanish government's informative note on documentation for UK nationals. This explains which documents you can use to prove your identity. You can refer to this informative note when accessing public services and dealing with businesses that provide services. Generally the TIE helps a lot and is used in nearly all processes.

Moving to Spain after Brexit

If you are a British national and thinking of moving to Spain after Brexit then you need to sort out visas before you go. For more information on Living in Spain after Brexit for UK nationals you can click on the links below:

see the Spanish government's information on residency for UK nationals living in Spain before 1 January 2021

read the Spanish government's guidance for UK nationals living in Spain before 1 January 2021

Spain is split into many regions and depending on where you are moving to in Spain will affect the process you need to apply. Some regions are very efficient at processing English speaking applicants, others are not. You will probably need professional help when applying for residency and moving to Spain after brexit.

If you need further information on how to register as a resident, you may find the information on the webpages from these organisations in Spain useful:

Region of Spain


Alicante, Valencia and Castellon


Andalusia, Castilla la Mancha, Castilla León, Ceuta, Extremadura, Madrid, Melilla, Murcia

The International Organization for Migration

Aragon, Asturias, Balearics, Basque Country (Pais Vasco), Canary Islands, Cantabria, Catalonia, Galicia, La Rioja, Navarra

Age in Spain

For further details on moving to Spain after Brexit you can visit the Support in Spain website.

Moving to Spain and Family members

If you are a resident of Spain then your close family members maybe able to join you and live in Spain after Brexit. You can learn more about who this applies to in the Living in Europe guidance page on the British Government website.

Your family members should apply online before moving to Spain or through a third party in Spain, such as a lawyer. Alternatively, they can apply within 3 months of arrival to Spain. It is always best to seek legal assistance when applying for resident status in Spain as the process is sometimes quite complicated.

Depending on your family members nationality, some non-EU family members may need a visa before travelling to Spain.

The Spanish authorities should issue Withdrawal Agreement family reunion visas free of charge if they are British nationals moving to Spain after Brexit and connected to a British national already resident in Spain.

You can read the Spanish government's guidance for ‘UK nationals and their family members residing in Spain'. This explains how you and your close family members can apply for the TIE and how to renew your TIE before it expires. Moving to Spain after Brexit is still very achievable but obviously there is a lot more bureaucracy surrounding the whole process now.

How to move to Spain from UK

Once you have your visas and residency in order you then need to think about moving your furniture and effects out to Spain if you have a property to move into. If you don´t then you may want to consider storing your effects with a removal company to give you some time to find a property to move into.

This is where advance moves can help you when moving to Spain from UK or from any other country. Use the yellow buttons to get a quick quote and save yourself time and money on moving to Spain from the UK. Advance moves can also arrange storage for your effects during the removal process, so that the timing of the move to Spain suits your own travel arrangements. That is how to move to Spain from the UK, with advance moves making it a lot easier for you.

Moving to Spain from the UK involves several steps to ensure a smooth transition. Firstly, when considering how to move to Spain from the UK, it's essential to research visa requirements. Depending on your circumstances, you may need a visa or residency permit to live and work in Spain legally. Once you've determined the necessary paperwork, the next step in how to move to Spain from the UK is to organize your belongings. This includes packing your possessions securely and deciding whether to transport them yourself or hire a removals company. When moving to Spain from the UK, it's also important to arrange transportation for yourself and your family. Whether you're flying or driving to Spain, you'll need to plan your journey and make arrangements for accommodation along the way. Upon arrival in Spain, the final step in how to move to Spain from the UK is to settle into your new home. This may involve finding a place to live, enrolling children in school, and getting to know your new community. By following these steps and seeking assistance from professionals, you can navigate the process of moving to Spain from the UK with confidence.

Moving to Spain as an EU citizen

If you are moving to Spain as an EU citizen then the whole process is a lot easier. You do not need to apply for a visa prior to moving to Spain from another EU country. You can stay in Spain up to 3 months, if you wish to stay longer then you will need a residency certificate. This certificate of registration as an EU national is a simple document that provides evidence that you have registered in the Central Register of Foreign Nationals here in Spain. You will then need to go through the process of gaining full residency and registering with the Spanish tax office and healthcare system etc….

Scroll down this page for more info on all aspects of what you have to do to live in Spain legally.

Moving from UK to Spain

If your Moving from UK to Spain then you firstly need to sort your visa out as detailed above. But then most of the subjects covered below on this page are still relevant to you and you will need to read through them so you can completely intergrate yourself into the Spanish system and live in Spain legally. It is best to seek legal advice from a professional that can help you with most things.

Moving from the UK to Spain is a significant decision that entails careful planning and consideration. When embarking on this journey, it's essential to research the logistics of moving from the UK to Spain thoroughly. This includes understanding visa requirements, residency permits, and any necessary documentation for relocating to Spain. Additionally, it's crucial to consider the cultural differences and lifestyle adjustments that come with moving from the UK to Spain.

Once you've decided to make the move from the UK to Spain, the next step is to organize the practical aspects of your relocation. This involves packing your belongings, arranging transportation, and finding accommodation in Spain. Whether you choose to ship your possessions or travel with them, careful planning is key to ensuring a smooth transition from the UK to Spain.

Furthermore, moving from the UK to Spain requires financial planning. You'll need to budget for moving expenses, as well as ongoing living costs in Spain. This may include housing, utilities, healthcare, and other essentials. By carefully assessing your finances and creating a budget, you can ensure a comfortable transition from the UK to Spain.

As you prepare for your move from the UK to Spain, it's essential to stay organized and proactive. This may involve creating a detailed moving checklist, coordinating with movers or shipping companies, and tying up any loose ends in the UK. By staying focused on your goal and planning ahead, you can make your move from the UK to Spain a successful and rewarding experience.

Move to Spain

We have a wealth of information and advice on moving to Spain from UK and a quick scroll down on this page will tell you just about everything you need to know for your move to Spain from UK or any other location in Europe.

We run a frequent and reliable removals service to Spain and are one of the best in the business with over 15 years of experience in Moving from the UK to Spain. To start to budget for your removal use the quick quote buttons at the top of the page and obtain an instant online quote in 30 seconds by entering minimal information about your planned removal.

Moving to Spain is an exciting endeavor that requires careful planning and preparation. If you're considering a move to Spain, there are several key steps to keep in mind. Firstly, it's essential to research the logistics of the move to Spain thoroughly. This includes understanding visa requirements, finding accommodation, and familiarizing yourself with Spanish culture and customs. Once you've decided to make the move to Spain, the next step is to organize your belongings. This may involve decluttering your home, packing your belongings securely, and arranging for transportation to Spain. When planning your move to Spain, it's also crucial to consider your finances. This includes budgeting for moving expenses, as well as living costs once you arrive in Spain. Finally, as you prepare for your move to Spain, it's essential to stay organized and proactive. This may involve creating a detailed moving checklist, coordinating with movers or shipping companies, and tying up any loose ends in your current location. By following these steps and staying focused on your goal, you can make your move to Spain a smooth and successful transition.

Move to Spain from the UK

Moving to Spain from the UK presents an exciting opportunity for individuals seeking a change of scenery. Whether you're drawn to Spain's vibrant culture, stunning landscapes, or sunny climate, the move offers a chance to immerse yourself in a new way of life. With its diverse cities, picturesque coastal towns, and rich history, Spain has long been a popular destination for expatriates from the UK. From the bustling streets of Madrid to the tranquil shores of the Costa del Sol, there's something for everyone in Spain. As you prepare for your move to Spain from the UK, it's essential to consider various factors, including housing, employment, and healthcare. With Advance Moves' expertise in international relocation, navigating the complexities of moving to Spain becomes more manageable. Their comprehensive services, including customs assistance and logistical support, ensure a smooth transition to your new home in Spain from the UK. So, whether you're dreaming of a life in the Spanish countryside or craving the vibrant energy of Barcelona, Advance Moves can help make your move to Spain from the UK a reality.

Customs regulations when moving the contents of a house to Spain from the UK

When moving the contents of a house from the UK to Spain, it's crucial to understand the customs regulations to ensure a smooth transition. Spain, like many countries, has specific rules governing the importation of household goods.

Firstly, individuals relocating to Spain from the UK can bring their personal belongings duty-free if they have owned and used them for at least six months. This includes furniture, appliances, clothing, and other household items.

However, it's essential to prepare a detailed inventory of all items being shipped, including their approximate value. Customs authorities may request this documentation to assess any applicable taxes or duties.

Additionally, certain items may be restricted or prohibited from entry into Spain. These can include firearms, drugs, and certain food products. It's essential to research Spain's customs regulations thoroughly and ensure compliance to avoid any delays or complications during the moving process.

When shipping household goods to Spain, it's advisable to work with a reputable international removal company like Advance Moves. They can provide guidance on customs procedures, assist with documentation preparation, and ensure your belongings reach their destination safely and efficiently. With their expertise, navigating the customs regulations for moving house to Spain becomes more manageable, allowing you to focus on settling into your new home.

Moving to Spain from the USA

From early 2024, US citizens need to apply for a visa waiver called ETIAS to enter Spain. You'll need to apply for ETIAS at least 72 hours before your flight. If successful, your permit will be valid for 3 years or until your passport expires.

If you're planning to visit Spain for more than 90 days, you'll need to apply for a valid visa depending on your purpose of visit or stay. If your stay is less than 90 days then you will not need a visa, however you will need to apply for one prior to overstaying.

A useful information page on Moving to Spain from the USA can be found here with more details on visas and how to obtain them. There are currently about 40,000 US citizens resident in Spain.

Moving to Spain from the USA is an exciting endeavor that offers a unique blend of culture, history, and lifestyle. Whether you're relocating for work, retirement, or adventure, making the move to Spain from the USA requires careful planning and consideration.

When moving to Spain from the USA, one of the first steps is to understand the visa requirements for your specific situation. Depending on your reason for relocating, you may need to obtain a visa or residency permit to legally reside in Spain. Researching the visa application process and gathering the necessary documentation is essential to ensure a smooth transition from the USA to Spain.

Additionally, moving to Spain from the USA involves logistical challenges, such as shipping belongings overseas and finding suitable accommodation in Spain. Whether you choose to ship your belongings or start fresh in Spain, careful planning and organization are key to a successful move. Consider hiring a reputable moving company with experience in international relocations to assist with the logistics of moving to Spain from the USA.

Once you've arrived in Spain, adjusting to life in a new country can be both exciting and challenging. From learning the language to navigating cultural differences, adapting to life in Spain requires patience and an open mind. Fortunately, Spain offers a welcoming and vibrant expat community, making it easier to settle in and make new connections.

As you embark on your journey of moving to Spain from the USA, it's essential to stay organized and focused on your goals. By carefully planning your move, understanding the logistics involved, and embracing the adventure ahead, you can make your transition to Spain a smooth and rewarding experience. Whether you're drawn to Spain's rich history, stunning landscapes, or vibrant culture, moving to Spain from the USA opens up a world of possibilities.

How to move to Spain

We have a wealth of information and advice on moving to Spain from UK and a quick scroll down on this page will tell you just about everything you need to know for your move to Spain from UK or any other location in Europe.

We run a frequent and reliable removals service to Spain and are one of the best in the business with over 15 years of experience in Moving from the UK to Spain. To start to budget for your removal use the quick quote buttons at the top of the page and obtain an instant online quote in 30 seconds by entering minimal information about your planned removal.

How to Move to Spain from the UK ?.....easy, just start scrolling down for all the information you will need and then get a Instant online quick quote for your removal to Spain with Advance Moves....

As an EU national, you are entitled to live in Spain for over 3 months if:

  • you have a salaried position or you are self-employed in Spain
  • or you can support yourself and your family, and you have a public or private health insurance that provides full cover in Spain
  • or you are a registered student at an educational establishment recognised by the Spanish authorities, and you can support yourself and have a public or private health insurance with full cover in Spain
  • or you are a family member of an EU national that meets one of the previous conditions. The family member can be:
    • If case of a student: his/her spouse or common-law partner, or his/her children
    • In other cases: his/her spouse or common-lay partner, his/her children or spouse´s children up to 21 years old or incapable or his/her ancestors.

In all of these cases, you must still register with the Central Register of Foreign Nationals (Registro Central de Extranjeros), no later than 3 months after arriving in Spain.

Registering with the Central Register

You can d o this in one of 2 places:

  • the Register's local office Oficina de Extranjería, you will find one in the province where you are living
  • in your local police station, you can only do this if there is no Oficina de Extranjería in your region.

What you need to take

You have always to attach the following documents:

  • Passport or other identity document and it needs to be valid for at least 6 months.
  • Oficial form number EX18, two copies, filled and signed by the EU national.

In addition, you will have to attach other documents, depending on your situation:

  • salaried workers – your contract of employment or other proof of your employment status, normally your nominas (pay slips).
  • self-employed workers – proof of registration in the register of economic activities (censo de actividades económicas) or other proof of your employment status.
  • not in employment in Spain? Proof of:
    • (i) health cover valid in Spain and
    • (ii) sufficient means to support yourself and your family.
    • Pensioners – provide proof of public health cover.
  • students
    • (i) proof of your registration in an educational establishment,
    • (ii) proof of public or private health cover and
    • (iii) formal declaration that you have sufficient means to support yourself during your stay.

If you own property in Spain, or live in Spain as a resident, you are going to need an N.I.E. number. This section explains what an NIE number is, why you need one, and how to get one, either in or outside of Spain.

Spanish NIE Number Guide

This guide is about Spanish NIE numbers for the purpose of buying property in Spain. If you need an NIE number for another purpose, for example to work in Spain, the process might be different. The rules, or the application of the rules, can vary from place to place, and can change without warning. As a result, this guide can be temporarily out of date from time to time.

What is an N.I.E Number?

N.I.E. is an abbreviation for Número de Identidad de Extranjero, which translates as Identification Number for Foreigners.

The NIE is your all-purpose identification and tax number in Spain. You need it for everything that involves a tramite or official process in Spain. You will need an NIE number to buy a property, buy a car, get connected to the utilities and, most importantly as far as the Spanish state is concerned, pay your taxes. Without an NIE number, the Spanish tax authorities are unable to assess or process annual tax payments such as income tax (IRPF), and the annual wealth tax (Patrimonio), both of which are declared by resident and non-resident property owners.

NIE number certificates were being issued with a 3-month validity from the time of issue, after which you were expected to apply for residency, or register as a non-resident. So after three months the certificate was no longer valid, at least in principle. However, in mid-2016 the regulation was changed to eliminate the three-month expiry deadline, so NIE numbers are now valid indefinitely. But this is Spain and the bureaucracy is a bit of a mess, and regulations are not uniformly implemented or even understood. You may find that some notaries refuse to accept a certificate that is older than three months, which could cause problems for property buyers trying to sign deeds more than three months after obtaining their NIE certificate. In principle you can get your NIE number anytime before you buy, but to be on the safe side you might want to sort out your NIE number on your last trip to Spain, when you find a property you want to buy and can complete within three months.

If you are an EU citizen and spend longer than 3 months in Spain after getting your NIE number, you are required to register and get a government certificate that shows your NIE number.

How long can I stay in Spain after Brexit?

So how long can I stay in Spain after Brexit? Well basically UK nationals will currently still be able to enter Spain visa-free when automatic freedom of movement ends … but only for short stays of up to 90 days (3 months).

The 90 days in every 180 days rule

The UK, will currently be added to the list of visa-exempt countries. This means that unless there is an alternative UK/Spain agreement, UK citizens will be limited to visiting Spain for up to 90 days within any 180-day period without a visa.

The 180-day clock would start when you first enter Spain on day 1, or any other European Schengen state, with each subsequent departure and entry recorded and counted at border control. Once you have been away from Spain for a full 90 days, everything resets and you will be allowed a new stay of up to 90 days.

However once you have used up your allowance you will not be permitted to enter another Schengen country without a visa.

Can brits retire to spain after brexit?

Yes, you can still retire to Spain after Brexit but the conditions are more stringent and complicated. They involve showing proof of income and savings to show that you can support yourself in Spain. Healthcare is also an issue and receiving your pension if you are not already a resident of Spain. Nothing is fully set at the moment as final negotiations are still happening so expect more updates here on Can brits retire to Spain after Brexit, as we get news.

Who needs an NIE in Spain?

  1. Any foreigner who becomes resident for tax purposes in Spain needs an NIE number in Spain.
    2. Any non-resident foreigner who buys property in Spain. If a couple buys a property in Spain together, and they register the property in both their names, then both of them must obtain an NIE number in Spain.
    3. Anyone who wants to work in Spain, or start a business in Spain.

When do you need to have an NIE number?

If you are buying property in Spain, then you need to have an NIE number by the time you sign the deeds of purchase before notary, an event known in Spanish as the escritura.

Getting your NIE number in time for escritura means applying at least 1 month before hand if you are applying in Spain, and at least 2 months before hand if you are applying via a consulate abroad. The actual time it takes depends upon where you apply, and the time of the year. You might be able to get an NIE number in person in Spain in a couple of days, but it could also take weeks, so best allow yourself plenty of time.

How do you apply for an NIE number?

The first thing to understand is that dealing with the Spanish bureaucracy is often a perplexing, not to mention frustrating affair. The way they interpret the regulations in Andalusia might differ from the way they interpret the same rules in Catalonia. In one area, for example Barcelona, you need to book an appointment online in advance to request your NIE number, then spend hours waiting in a queue, whilst in other areas you can just turn up and get everything done in half an hour. I have confirmed for myself that the rules are inconsistently applied, which makes it difficult to prepare a guide to NIE numbers.

So keeping in mind that the process and interpretation of requirements might be different depending on how and where you apply for an NIE number, here is a general guide that explains the official requirements and the process as it should work (but might not)

There are three ways to apply for a Spanish NIE number:

  1. Apply in person in Spain.
    2. Apply in person via a Spanish Consulate abroad.
    3. Apply through a representative in Spain

Applying for NIE number in person in Spain

Applying in person for an NIE number whilst in Spain is a relatively straightforward procedure. The only inconvenience is that you may have to wait for several hours in a queue in order to submit your application at a Spanish police station. It does depend upon the police station where you apply, and the time of day. With a bit of luck you will be in and out in half an hour or less. If you do not speak good Spanish, you will need to take a translator with you, as they will not be able to provide one there.

The process is as follows:

1) Prepare the necessary documentation:

  • All applicants: Two copies of the Ex-15 application form filled out and signed . The Spanish name for the NIE form is Solicitud de Número de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE) y Certificados (EX-15).
  •  All applicants: An original document (plus a photocopy) that justifies your reason for applying for an NIE number, such as a private purchase contract for a property, deposit contract, or a mortgage approval.
  • EU nationals: Your passport and a photocopy of the main page of your passport (the page that includes your photo, name, passport number, address, etc.).
  • Non-EU nationals: Your passport and a photocopy of your entire passport (all pages), plus proof of your legal entry into Spain (for instance a landing card, known in Spanish as a declaración de entrada or a título de viaje or cédula de inscripción). Some Oficinas de Extranjeros might accept a valid entry stamp in your passport as proof of legal entry. To be on the safe side non-EU nationals might also want to take along two recent passport size colour photographs with a plain coloured background.


2) Take all documentation in person to the appropriate place of submission.

You have to go to one of the immigration offices (oficinas de extranjeros) that are usually found in designated police stations (comisaría de policía), preferably in the area where you are buying your property. If there is no immigration office in your area then it should be possible to make your application through a local police station. In any event the local police station will be able to tell you the best place to go to apply for an NIE in your area.

In Barcelona, and some other places, you have to request an appointment online using the “Certificados EU” (for EU nationals) option at the Public Administration website. You might have to book an appointment a month in advance – you can’t just turn up

You will have to pay a tax of around €10.00 at the nearest bank branch after making your application, then take proof of this payment (the stamped receipt from the bank) back to the Oficina de Extranjeros. That completes the application process.

3) Collect NIE number immediately or after a few days

After you have submitted your NIE application you will be given an official receipt (resguardo) and a time / date after which you can return to collect your NIE document. In some places you can collect your NIE number immediately, in other places it might be a couple of days later, or a couple of weeks – the police station will tell you. The time it takes varies by region and time of the year. Generally speaking it seems that places where there are not many foreigners requesting NIE numbers deliver quicker, in some cases immediately.

You do not have to collect your NIE in person – anyone can collect it for you if they have the official receipt or resguardo you were given when you submitted your application.

The time it takes to get an NIE varies greatly by region. Whilst it is still common in most areas to wait 15 days or more before collecting an NIE, in some areas, for instance Oviedo, in Asturias, (North Spain), you can apply for, and collect, an NIE in one single visit, which might not take longer than half an hour.

2. Applying for an NIE number in person via a Spanish Consulate abroad

You can also apply for an NIE from Spanish consulates around the world if you do not have the time to apply whilst you are in Spain. You can find more information about this on the Spanish Consulate website (London).

The process is as follows:

1) Prepare the necessary documentation:

  • EU nationals: Your passport and a photocopy of the main page of your passport (the page that includes your photo, name, passport number, address, etc.). Non-EU nationals: Your passport and a photocopy of your entire passport.
  • 2 copies of the appropriate application form duly completed but NOT SIGNED as you will need to sign in the presence of a consular official. The Spanish consulate will not be able to provide you with this form so you must obtain it beforehand. We strongly recommend you ring the consulate beforehand to check the latest situation as the procedures do change and these instructions may already be out of date.
  • In the UK it appears you now have to pay a fee of £8.05 in fees (December 2016), so make sure you have the means on you to pay this small sum. (For a while there was no fee to pay, and before that there was a fee of £22 so it keeps changing, for which reason always best to ring or check the Embassy website in advance for the latest requirements).
  • You might also have to produce an original document (plus a photocopy) that justifies your reason for applying for an NIE number. This documentation might not be necessary, but best have it with you just in case. If you don’t have it, then don’t worry too much, as both London and Manchester consulates say they don’t require it.

It also used to be necessary to take the following:

  • A self-addressed envelope
  • An envelope addressed to: Comisaría General de Extranjería y Documentación
    Dirección General de Policia
    C/ General Pardiñas, 90
    28006 Madrid

2) Take all documentation in person to your nearest Spanish Consulate.

You have to go in person with all the relevant documentation to your nearest Spanish consulate. The Spanish Consulate cannot issue NIE numbers; it only acts as a “postal box” between the applicant and the competent authorities in Spain. Once you have submitted your application through the Consulate they will not be able to provide you with any further information on the status of your application. For any further information or enquires as to the status of your application you should write to the address given above for the Comisaría General de Extranjería y Documentación.

3) Await notification from the Spanish authorities

If all goes well you should receive your NIE number in pdf format by email within 2/3 weeks.

3. Authorise a third party to obtain you NIE number on your behalf

The Spanish Government now permits foreigners to authorise a third party to obtain an NIE number on their behalf, however it needs to be a legal representative such as a lawyer, or a professional company.

As a result, you can now authorise someone to get your NIE number for you in Spain. Once authorised they take care of the whole process for you. There are numerous companies now offering this service. To do this you need to:

  1. Grant them a poder, or power of attorney signed before notary, expressly granting permission to request an NIE number on your behalf.
  2. Let them have your passport, or send them a notarised copy of your passport (copia legitimada). Getting a copy of your passport in Spain is easy and cheap to do with a quick visit to a notary. If you get it from a notary outside of Spain you will also need the Hague Apostille. Be warned that some oficinas de extranjería do not accept passport copies that have been notarised outside of Spain – they only accept copies done by a Spanish notary.

If you go to a notary outside of Spain, the documentation will also need the Hague Apostille (but not if you go to the Spanish embassy or consulate).

British Notary Publics are generally solicitors and practise in solicitors’ firms. I recommend you telephone one or two solicitors’ firms in your area and enquire as to whether they have a Notary Public or, advise you as to where the nearest one practices.

Be sure to take your original passports to the Notary appointment.

What is an Empadronamiento?

Empadronamiento is perhaps the first important thing you have to do when you move to Spain. It adds your name and address into the register of the city you’re living in, and is a prerequisite for many administrative processes such as getting a social security number, public health care and even residency and marriage.

Can brits retire to spain after brexit

Can Brits retire to Spain after Brexit? Well the answer is yes, but you will need to pass some more stringent requirements than before Brexit to meet the criteria required for residency. You should contact a good gestor in Spain to talk you through the requirements for residency involving a British national looking to retire in Spain. So basically Brits can still retire in Spain but with a lot more red tape to go through.

Where, why, and how to get empadronamiento:

  1. What is it? It's the process of letting the City Hall know where you live. It's one of the most important administrative processes you'll go through.
  2. You need: a lot of documents. It's important to take everything to your appointment.
  3. Where to go: it depends on your city.

Getting empradonado in Spain is a must for anyone living here long-term, and it’s also very easy to do! 

Moving to Spain with Advance Moves

What is Empadronamiento?

Empadronamiento is the act of letting the city know where you live. To do so, you need to fill out a form and hand it over to the City Hall’s citizen register — Oficina de empadronamiento or Padrón Municipal. It’s mandatory and very useful if you want to stay in Spain for good.

Once you are empadronado, there are two different documents that show where you live in: Certificado and Volante. Since both documents have the same information, what’s the difference between them? First, it’s how you get them. Second, what they are use for. It’s very important to check this when you are asked for it in future encounters with Spanish bureaucracy.

Certificado is the official document and proves where you live. The easiest way to get a certificado is by going to one of the city hall offices. Mainly, you will be asked for it in:

  • Judicial bodies
  • Civil registry (marriages, nationalities,…)
  • Other Official Registers, national employment system (INEM), and Universities.

Volante has informative purposes and doesn’t prove where you live. Official institutions ask for it when the certificado is not required expressly. To get your volante, you only need to allow the administration to check your address in “El Padrón Municipal”.

What documents do I need for getting empadronado in Spain?

  • Application form or Solicitud de Empadronamiento
  • Documents that prove your identity: Passport or Residence Card.
  • Proof of residence: last provider bill (water, electricity or gas bill) or rental contract.

Process: how to get your empadronamiento in…


  1. Fill out the Application form or Solicitud de Empadronamiento
  2. Get an appointment or cita previa.
  3. Get to the office and hand in the documents.


  1. Send the online application form or Alta en el Padrón
  2. You’ll receive registry documents in your ordinary mail
  3. Fill them out and send them back


  1. Application form or certificado de empadronamiento
  2. Get an appointment
  3. Go to the office and hand in the documents.


1.Application form or hoja de empadronamiento
2. Go to one of the offices


  1. Application form or hoja padronal
  2. Two options:
  • Get an appointment or cita previa and deliver all the documentation
  • Fill out the online form and wait for a public servant to contact you

Before you get empadronado you obviously will need to find a place to live,

Healthcare in Spain

The rules for getting state healthcare in Spain are different from those in the UK. This guide is intended to advise British nationals living, or planning to live, in Spain on the different ways to access healthcare.

Healthcare entitlement

If you are registered to work in Spain and make National Insurance contributions then you can get state-run health care on the same basis as a Spanish national. For further information, get in touch with your local TGSS office.

If you registered as a permanent resident in Spain and are not covered for healthcare though any other means, speak to your local INSS office to register for healthcare in Spain. Permanent residents have been registered as residents with extranjería for at least five years.

If you are in receipt of a UK old age state pension, request an S1 form (previously E121) from the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999. If you are in receipt of an exportable DWP benefit you can request an S1 form the office which pays your exportable benefit.

It is your responsibility to keep the Overseas Healthcare Team or office which pays your exportable DWP benefit up to date with any changes in circumstances which may affect your entitlement to an S1 (E121). When received, register the S1 form with your local INSS office, before you register with your local GP surgery and obtain a medical card..

As from the 1 July 2014, early retirees are no longer able to apply for a residual S1 form based on National Insurance contributions. The NHS website has more information about this change.

If you are a worker seconded to Spain, or the family member of a someone making UK National Insurance contributions, contact HMRC to see if you have entitlement to an S1 form (previously an E106 or E109). Once issued, register the S1 form with your local INSS office, before you register with your local GP surgery.

If you are coming to study or are currently studying in Spain as part of a UK-recognised course, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK.

In Spain access to healthcare by children and pregnant women is protected by law. Please see the social worker at your local health centre for more details.

Purchasing public health insurance

If you are not covered for state-run healthcare through any other means, the Spanish regional health authorities offer a special pay-in scheme (convenio especial). This is a public health insurance scheme available nationwide where you pay a monthly fee to access state-run healthcare. The scheme is managed by each autonomous region.

Policy holders pay on an individual basis for access to public healthcare, regardless of pre-existing conditions, anywhere in Spain. Children will also need to join the scheme, as long as their parents have sufficient income to be able to pay their subscription. If you have any doubt about your means to pay for your children to join the scheme, you must make an appointment with the social worker at your local health centre.

The basic monthly fee is 60€ for the under 65s and 157€ for those aged 65 and above. However, prescriptions are not subsidised at this rate so you would pay 100% of prescription costs. This form of cover doesn’t give holders the right to an EHIC at this time, so if you wish to travel, you will need to take out private travel insurance. The scheme is now available in:

  • Andalucía
  • Baleares
  • Canarias
  • Castilla y León
  • Galicia
  • Madrid
  • Murcia
  • Valencia
  • The UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is valid for holidaymakers and temporary visitors who need to use the state health system while in another EU country. If you are not normally a resident of the UK, and therefore do not have entitlement to a UK-issued EHIC, the Spanish authorities may decide to treat you as a private patient.
  • If you are a resident in the UK, you should apply for your EHIC before travelling to other European Union Member States. A UK EHIC is usually valid for three to five years – but if you stop being a UK resident, you need to return your EHIC to the Department of Health immediately.
  • There is a short video explaining how to use the EHIC card in Spain and further information is available on the Healthcare in Spain website.
  • If you are a UK state pensioner living in Spain and registered for healthcare with an S1, the UK is responsible for issuing your EHIC to use on a temporary stay in the UK and a third EU country. For more information, telephone the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999.
  • The EHIC gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in Spain.
  • When you show your EHIC, you will receive treatment under the same conditions and at the same cost as people insured in Spain.
  • Be aware that each country’s healthcare system is different. Services that cost you nothing at home might not be free in Spain (for example, prescriptions).
  • The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property.
  • From 1 July 2014 you will no longer be able to apply for a reimbursement for co-payments made when using your EHIC. The NHS website has more information.

Planned treatment

  • The EHIC does not cover your costs if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment. If this is the case you must apply for form S2 from your local NHS Trust.


If you need to receive oxygen therapy during a temporary visit to Spain, you must request it in advance, in writing, from the Spanish authorities. You should send this request at least one month before you are due to travel.

Oxygen therapy needs to be arranged by customers directly with the Spanish authorities. The Healthcare Teams at the British consulates provide a list of contacts and a template letter in Spanish on the Healthcare in Spain website to help you make these arrangements.

Once you have sent the oxygen request directly to the Spanish authorities, it is your responsibility to then follow up with the relevant oxygen provider to confirm your request has been processed.


Spain uses a co-payment system where residents are required to pay a percentage of the cost of their prescription medication. If you are a pensioner and have paid more than you should have for prescription medication, speak with your pharmacists or local health centre to confirm the process in your region to claim a refund.

The table below provides an approximate basic overview of what residents are required to contribute:

Annual income

Social situation

% of contribution

Capped at

Less than €18,000

Working age


No cap


State pensioner



Between €18,000 and €100,000

Working age


No cap


State pensioner



Over €100,000

Working age


No cap


State pensioner



Driving in Spain and changing your license.

If you have a UK photo card driving license dating from 1997 or after (or full UK licence dating from 1990) it will be sufficient to allow you to drive legally in Spain. However, when it expires, or if it gets lost or stolen, you will not be able to renew it with the DVLA if you are now permanently resident in Spain.

you will need to organise converting your UK license to a legal Spanish document that complies with Spanish driving laws :

In Spain the legal minimum age to drive is 18 years, and you must be able to prove Resident status, so you will need your 'Residencia'  before you apply for your ‘carnet de permiso de conducción’. However, assuming that you have recently moved to Spain, the procedure of applying for a Spanish license is voluntary for members of the European Union including the UK, and can be completed at your local Traffic office or Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico.


You can carry out this procedure yourself at the Dirección General de Trafico website. Go to online to obtain the application form or ‘solicitud’. You will be asked to select the province where you reside in order to find the relevant traffic office closest to you.

 Legal implications?

All EU countries (including the UK) are now obliged to conform to the new style photo card license which must carry a photo likeness and the permanent home address of the holder. This is because if you are involved in an accident your next of kin can be informed and the holder of that license can be traced regarding any driving offences, fines or points bans.  In Spain you must carry this card on you at all times, as you will receive a fine if you cannot present it when asked.

Resident permanently in Spain or not?

If you own a British or non-Spanish registered vehicle, remember you have six months in which to ‘import’ and re-register the vehicle with Spanish number plates. You can drive happily and use your UK registered car here meanwhile, as long as you abide by all the usual Spanish driving laws and have all the relevant documentation with you (MOT, tax, insurance, driving license), even if you do not have permanent resident status.

Purchase of Spanish Vehicles and Spanish Driving License

Even if you are non-resident but plan to buy a Spanish registered vehicle, this is an option.  The car or van must still carry valid ITV, tax and insurance papers.  There have been reports about non-residents being stopped by the Traffic Police and fined for not having a Spanish driving licence.  It is impossible to obtain a Spanish licence without your ‘residencia’, and the problem arises because police occasionally assume residency when they see a Spanish registration plate. It is acceptable to explain that you are not a resident of Spain, but spend periods of time here throughout the year.  If you have difficulty with the Spanish language, you can obtain a Certificate of Non-Residence, and carry this with your car papers to avoid any concern. 



Generally, as with most legal issues, it is easier to comply and adopt local rules when living in that particular country. A full Spanish driving licence is valid for 10 years between the ages of 18 and 45; between the ages of 45 and 70 it remains 5 years; and beyond 70 years old the validity period remains 2 years.

You 'should' receive a letter advising you of the need for renewal as long as your address details are current, but equally so should not rely on this being sent out as a reminder to you to renew your license.

To renew your Spanish driving licence you will need to present all your documents at your nearest ‘Jefatura de Trafico’ at least 3 months before the old licence expires, including a new ‘solicitud’ which can be downloaded, your old licence, your residencia, NIE and ‘empadromiento’ (proof of address from town hall) three photographs, and a Certificate of Aptitude from an Authorised Drivers Check Centre (Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores Autorizado) in your province.

The medical examination is carried out in designated clinics and will include eyesight, hearing, pulse and blood pressure tests, and tests for speed of reaction, judgement of the speed of other vehicles and acuteness of visual identification. If you wear glasses or contact lenses, you’re tested with them and your license with be marked to indicate this (remember, you must carry a spare pair when driving). The medical certificate is valid for 90 days, to enable you to make your application for a license.

These Spanish driving regulations are broadly similar to the rest of Europe under EU law and ensure that drivers are safe, healthy and competent along with the roadworthiness and insured status of the vehicle. So it also makes sense to use a Spanish driving license where the local traffic police will be expecting one.

Finances in Spain

Once you have made the decision to move to Spain there are a number of factors to consider concerning your financial requirements, especially if your residential status has, or is about to change.

Understandably, many expats are reluctant to burn their bridges completely with the UK and choose to retain a sterling account in the UK - but is this permitted within the terms and conditions of your existing account ? If you move to Spain on a permanent basis and become legally resident, it may be that you need to review your requirements. Certainly, if you try to open a new account in the UK online, you are asked to confirm your residential status.


Instead you may opt to bank with a trusted and respected UK Bank who provides clients with the option to operate either a Sterling or Euro Bank Account for such eventualities. Quite often such accounts offer associated services such as life or health insurance, together with a range of flexible banking solutions. If you will be making regular international to and from your sterling account it is always recommended that you ask for a detailed list of charges so you can be aware of the true cost of transferring money to and from Spain.

Another consideration is to search for a Spanish Bank to take care of your Euro's. The day to day living costs such as utility bills, rent or mortgage payments and phone bills all generally require a Bank account with which to take a direct debit payment from, and unless you live close to a branch and speak a good standard of Spanish, it is a good idea to check that your chosen bank provides internet banking - in the English language. This way you can keep a close eye on your finances and see the charges that are applicable to sending or receiving money from overseas. This can be particularly useful as many utility companies in Spain can often have an annoying habit of taking irregular payments from your account without sending you prior notification.

Although many Banks - in both the UK and Spain - offer a range of associated financial services and products, such as: Life, Travel or Health Insurance ; Mortgages ; Lifetime Loans & Equity Release ; Personal Secured Loans ; Currency Exchange etc...

Whether you are resident or Non-resident, an employee or self employed, a property owner or a tenant, the Taxes that could apply to you can often be overwhelming. Sometimes even the departments applying these taxes do not seem to understand the laws themselves, and the regulations seem to change almost as soon as they are put in place.

The Tax system in Spain is very different to the UK and in many cases you can incur fines for non-payment or late payment of any taxes that you should have paid. Worse still, it is surprising how many foreigners end up paying more tax than they should!

In order to take the headache and the hassle away from you, we recommend that you leave this with the experts. They simply look after Tax issues, that’s all, and that’s why they can dedicate so much time and resources to understanding the Spanish Tax system and to keep on top of and react to any changes that may affect you.

Anybody sending small but regular payments back to or from the UK will know that the Bank Charges applicable and the daily exchange rate can vary considerably each and every time that you make a transaction. This not only eats into the sum to be transferred, and carries its own procedural difficulties, but can leave you in the dark somewhat and be a hassle every time you have to nip into your local branch and stand in line to explain your requirements in detail each and every time you wish to make a payment.

A Money Transfer specialist differs from a Bank and a Currency Exchange Broker because they specialise in moving small and regular sums of Money between countries - as opposed to transferring larger sums with a Minimum Payment that can be into the Thousands, a Money Transfer specialist can accommodate your requirements for as little as a few Hundred Euros/Sterling.

How to become Self Employed in Spain

Going self employed definitely comes with its pros and cons. But if you’re set on making the jump to registering as an autónomo, here are some  pointers on how to go about it.

Key Info & Definitions:

  • Spanish Tax Agency is called Hacienda or Agencia Tributaria. This agency collects money from taxes and fights against tax fraud. As a self employed person (autónomo in Spanish), you’ll need to  use its website to pay taxes: IVA (Sales Tax) and IRPF (Income Tax).
  • Impuesto del Valor Añadido or IVA taxes every service or good that you consume and offer in Spain. It’s 21% of the total amount and you have to include it on every invoice that you make. There are a few exemptions (exenciones) such as: teaching English.
  • Impuesto de la Renta de las Personas Físicas or IRPF taxes every income that you have in a Fiscal Year. IRPF is included in your invoices when you add: Retención (retention in English). This retención means that you advance future taxes to Hacienda, deducing – 9% for the first three years to – 20% for the following years.
  • Seguridad Social is the Spanish Institution that collects and manages social benefits. As an autónomo you will have to pay a quota at the end of every month. This quota, also known as Cuota a la Seguridad Social, represents 29.90% of your total income; therefore, it will vary according to your earnings. As you can see in the following chart, new autónomos get a discount for the first 18 months.

Moving to Spain with Advance Moves

What you need before you start:

  • NIE – Número de Identidad de Extranjeros (Spanish ID Number)
  • Social Security Number
  • Bank account

How to become a Self Employed person in Spain:

A) Becoming autónomo in Hacienda’s eyes

Although you could do the process online, you will find it less complicated to go  to Hacienda’s office. Once you are there, the civil servant will fill out paperwork for you and it doesn’t take more than 15 minutes to finish the process .

There are two simple steps to become an autónomo in Hacienda: Getting an appointment (Cita Previa) and signing up for IAE.

1) Getting the appointment: Cita Previa.

  • First they’ll ask you for identification – Identificación- NIE number – IE: X-1234567-D
  • Family Name – Primer Apellido (Spaniards have two)
  • Then they’ll ask you to select a procedure – Selección Procedimiento. You’ll have to choose the option of Economic Activity Tax or Impuesto de Actividades Económicas (IAE), first by clicking on: Gestión Censal y acreditación certificado digital; and then: 036/037. IAE. NIF. Etiquetas y cambio de domicilio.
  • Now you have to choose your area – Selección Zona. You only need to enter your ZIP Code number (5 digit code. For example, Madrid’s zip code is 28XXX).
  • Finally, confirm your appointment! To set up your appointment with Hacienda, you’ll have to follow three more easy steps: - Select a date – Selección Fecha
  • Select a time – Selección Horario
  • Click on: Confirmation – Confirmación

2) Signing up in Hacienda for Impuesto de Actividades Economicas (IAE)

Signing up for IAE used to be a tedious task. Today, but it’s surprisingly fast now to be honest. You just need to show up with your ID and tell the civil servant that you want to become an autónomo. During this step, you are letting Hacienda know that you would like to register as a freelancer by filling out Modelo 036 / 037.

The funcionario or civil servant will ask you two questions: when you would like to start your activity and what service you are going to offer. Then, he or she will provide you with an “Activity Code” (each profession has a category or code). If your Spanish is good enough, we suggest asking for specific information regarding your activity—IVA, specific retention, etc.

Here are the documents you must bring:

  1. NIE Document.
  2. Social Security Number.
  3. Bank Account Number.

B) Obtaining your Electronic Certificate (Certificado Electrónico)

This will allow you to interact with Hacienda (pay taxes).

What you need to do:

  • Install the FRMT certificates.
  • Then apply for your User Certificate. They will send a Code to your email.
  • Prove your identity. Once you receive your code in your email, present your ID card at a Seguridad Social office.
  • Finally, you will be able to download your User Certificate.

C) Becoming Autónomo in Seguridad Social’s eyes.

Last step — registering at Seguridad Social — isn’t as easier as it is with Hacienda. But not to worry; when it comes to getting paid, Spain is highly efficient.

By becoming autónomo in the Seguridad Social and starting to cotizar (‘to pay for social security’ in English), you will be covered by Social Security and you have access to the public health system.

What you need to do:

  • Find your closest offices here:-
  • Fill out Modelo TA0521. There are workers at the info desk that will give you the form. Just let them know that you’d like to become an autónomo. They will also give you a piece of paper with a number.
  • Once you see this number on the screen, you only have to give them the following information: - Your Social Security Number
  • Your ID card
  • A copy of Modelo 036 / 037 (from Hacienda)
  • FNMT-RCM code to prove your identity (the code that you received in the previous step)

and now you are a self employed in Spain!

Pensions in Spain

Many people understand that the UK is in the EU (for now at least) and therefore when you retire, it should be simple to understand how you claim your State and personal pensions. The main questions people have are what pension will you receive, how will you receive this, where should you be paying your taxes and how when retired, can you receive your pension in Euros and what could happen if you don’t have this organised correctly?

Over the last few years this has changed and, as of now, works in the following way.

If you have never worked in Spain, but you are retiring here, having never paid Spanish taxes you will receive the UK State pension by contacting the HMRC at

How the State Pension works

How the new state pension will work

How to claim your state pension online

Early retirement and State Pension

You will be able to find out exactly what you will be entitled to and how it works. UK State pensions are always paid gross and never taxed, it is your duty to report this in your annual earnings whichever country you are resident in and along with your income, pay the relevant tax. State pension does come under the tax bracket as income tax.

You can choose to have your UK State pension paid into a UK bank account in sterling, or into a Spanish account in Euros at the rate of exchange that day (i.e. almost no costs for doing this).

If you have a private or company pension scheme in the UK, you should register on the following link and make sure this is also paid gross to you:

Then, you should be declaring this income in your annual tax return here in Spain (Declaracion De La Renta) and pay the relevant taxes, it’s advisable to find a good Gestor (accountant) to guide you.

A word of note here, unlike in the UK where your accountant/tax advisor is accountable for the advice they give you, here in Spain YOU are liable, even if the advice you are given is wrong, so it is worth asking around and finding a Gestor that has a good reputation.

Worked in Spain & the UK, Retiring here

In this scenario, as the UK is part of the EU, you should approach the local tax office in Spain and inform them of your situation. They in turn, would then contact the other countries you have worked in and where you paid tax and National Insurance contributions. This would then be paid to you by them directly as they collect from the relevant countries.

Different countries have different ages that they start paying your State pension from, so you need to bear that in mind.

Failure to correctly declare your pension income

What if you are or planning to be a resident here in Spain, but collect your UK state and private pension directly from the UK and do not declare here and in essence pay no taxes here? Surely, as the UK and Spain have a Double Tax Treaty (DDT, which means that you will not pay tax twice on any income you receive) as long as you are paying tax somewhere it’s not a problem? Well, consider that you are living in Spain as a resident, using their services, taking advantage of the healthcare and all the other things that make living here so enjoyable. Yet, you are paying UK taxes even though you are not living there. As you can see this doesn’t seem right! And it isn’t! Therefore, if you are found declaring your income incorrectly, it could result in you being fined, maybe even substantially. What is more, there is usually a minimal difference in the tax you might pay, whether it be in the UK or here, depending on your situation and income.

Also, give the fact that WILLS have now changed as of last August, meaning in essence you can choose which jurisdiction (country, laws) your estate would apply to, there seems little reason to risk this and not declare and pay your taxes as they should be. It would certainly stop a nasty knock at the door at some point down the road, especially as of next year when Common Reporting Standards come into rule (CRS – where countries around the world will be sharing information on the finances of their passport holders) meaning it’s even more likely you could be ‘found out’. Please note, this does not change where you are taxed for succession issues.

Therefore, we recommend making sure you are doing things properly, whether this involves you declaring this yourself or through a Gestor, as well as making sure your WILL is up to date.


Wills Drawn-up in Spain

The most straightforward situation is where the testator has drawn-up a will in Spain and in accordance with the legal provisions for creating a valid will.


How to File a Will in Spain

Making a will in Spain to cover your Spanish assets is a sensible action that will save time, money and stress for your heirs.  The procedure is as follows:

  1. Contact an English-speaking lawyer with experience in matters of probate.
  2. The solicitor will draft a will that covers your assets in Spain and will distribute those assets according to your wishes and the law of your nationality. 
    • Note carefully,  it is important to highlight the fact that this will applies to your Spanish assets and not any other assets you may have elsewhere – if that is your intention.
  3. The will is taken to a notary to have it formally drawn-up in a public document. The notary will hand over a copy of the will and retain the original for storage.
  4. The notary informs the Central Registry for Wills in Madrid of the existence of the will.
  5. When the time comes, your beneficiaries can obtain a certificate from the central registry that will certify that the will (of which they will have the copy the notary handed over) is in fact your final will and testament.

Creating a Spanish will greatly simplify matters though there still remains a series of actions that need to be carried out in order to have an estate’s assets distributed correctly.

It is not advisable to try to do so without the assistance of a qualified expert in inheritance matters in Spain.  


Death Certificate

  1.  The first thing that needs to be carried-out is to obtain the Death Certificate (Certificado de Defunción ). If death occurred in Spain then this can be obtained from the Civil Registry (Registro Civil) where the death occurred. The address of the local Registro Civil can be found online.

If the testator died outside Spain then a death certificate must be obtained from the relevant authority in that state. 

Please note that if the Death Certificate is not written in Spanish then it must be translated and legalised i.e have the Apostille stamp attached. It can then be used as an equivalent to the Spanish ‘Certificado de Defunción’.

 RGAUV Certificate

  1. With the Certificado de Defunción or legalised Death Certificate arranged then the next step is to request the Certificado de Registro General de Actos de Última Voluntad (RGAUV). The RGAUV certificate is issued by the central office for wills and testaments in Madrid and verifies the existence or otherwise of a Spanish will.

It will be necessary to wait for a period of 15 days from the date when death occurred before ordering the certificate. If ordering the certificate then there is an administrative charge that requires completing form 790. It will be necessary to send an original (not a copy) of the death certificate and it normally takes around 10 days to receive the certificate.

Life Insurance

  1. It may also be convenient at this stage to acquire any Life Insurance Contract that may exist. If the life insurance contract was taken out in Spain then it will be registered in the same place as the RGAUV certificate.

If however, as is more likely, the life insurance was taken out in a country of origin such as the UK or Ireland then the insurance company will have their own process. 

This will typically involve sending an original (not a copy) of the death certificate and completing whatever form the insurance company uses. 

Contact Information


Address: Parcela 9, calle rio mula, pol ind marimingo, bullas, Murcia, 30180, Spain

Tel: +34968654667

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Watch on YouTube

Download Our App

Advancemoves iTunes Store Logo

Advancemoves Google Play Logo

Supermotoland Holidays and Racing in Spain
Advance Moves ES - Removals from Spain to UK

By submitting your basic quick quote details we can automatically generate a quick quote for you that will be emailed to you immediately. This will give you a volume and price range from the basic details submitted and you will then receive a more accurate and detailed quotation from ourselves and/or our agents depending on your removals location and requirements. In the event we are unable to provide you with a quote we may supply the information you provide though the enquiry forms or via email to International Removals Direct who through their own list of suppliers will be able to provide you with a quote for your proposed enquiry.